Saturday, August 22, 2015

My start into photography

My start intro photography was approximately 27 years ago during a photography class on Saturday afternoons hold by our schoolmaster. In class we learned a lot on photographic techniques around image composition and all about the black and white manual laboratory process.
The course provided free access to analog SLR cameras and lenses, black and white film, a laboratory, and chemicals. This was a paradise for a young and passionate photographer.

The following image gallery shows a selection of scanned negatives from my more than 25 years old self-developed black and white portfolio. All the negatives produced during that period remain still in my archive. And the quality is still good. Sometimes I wonder if my current images stored in digital image archives will be accessible in 25 years time.


Thinking back to that time - I was just between 12 to 15 years old - I am missing the handcraft, the work with the medium film and chemicals, the pace of the process from composing, shooting towards the finally developed and enlarged photograph on paper. 
The step into digital age was not only a change in technology but a complete change in handcraft with respect to the creative process.

No comments: